From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
Revision as of 15:53, 25 October 2010 by PopeyePete
Also Known As
- The Haunted and the Hunted (UK)
- Fright Night
- You Must Pass the "D-13" Test To Prepare You for the Horrifying Experience of Dementia 13. If You Fail the Test...You Will Be Asked to Leave the Theater!
- The Most Terrifying Screen Experience Of Your Life! A Brand New Concept in Motion Picture Shock! A Thrilling New Creation of Terror Thru Sight and Sound, Filmed Entirely in the Shock-Packed Process of Dementia 13!
- Released in 1963
- Black and White
- Runtime: 75 min
- Aspect Ratio: (1.66:1)
- Production Co: Filmgroup Productions
- Distribution Co: American International Pictures (1963) (USA) (theatrical) | Astral Films (1963) (Canada) (theatrical)
Cast and Crew
- Directed by Francis Ford Coppola & Jack Hill (uncredited)
- Written by Francis Ford Coppola, Jack Hill
- Starring: William Campbell, Luana Anders, Bart Patton, Mary Mitchel, Patrick Magee, Eithne Dunne, Peter Read, Karl Schanzer, Ron Perry, Derry O'Donavan, Barbara Dowling
- Produced by Roger Corman, Marianne Wood
- Original Music by Ronald Stein, Les Baxter (uncredited)
- Cinematography by Charles Hannawalt (as Charles Hanawalt)
- Film Editing by Stuart O'Brien, Morton Tubor (as Mort Tubor)
John Haloran (Peter Read) and his beautiful wife Louise (Luana Anders) go out row boating in the middle of the night. John always tells her that without him she won't get a piece of the cake. After some rowing and arguing further he gets a heart attack and dies. Louise throws his dead body into the river and rows back. From then on she covers his death (with a letter) and visits her mother in law and her sons in the castle. She notices strange things there. The mother (Eithne Dunne) holds a ceremony for her dead daughter Kathleen. Billy (Bart Patton) and Richard (William Campbell) have taken part in it for 7 years. The mother has collapsed every year and Louise thinks she can mess with her and tells her something about Kathleen. A mysterious killer shows up and kills Louise with an axe. The family doctor Justin Caleb (Patrick Magee) arrives and is concerned. He tries to figure out what's going on. Meanwhile, the killer kills again. Justin investigates further and...enough said, see what happens for yourself! Dementia 13 is a pretty good movie. It was Francis Ford Coppola' s debut. Roger Corman was the producer. Corman actually wasn't pleased with the end result. He wanted the movie to be longer and more brutal. Nevertheless the ending is still cool. The underwater scene with the half naked woman was great (I can't stand those old women underwear!) and also the scene where the head gets cut off with an axe! Watch it!
Reviewed by GBS - 01/26/08