The Hidden/Fun Facts
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- Claudia Christian (Brenda the stripper) likes to tell two stories about her experience in this film. First is the design of her wardrobe: the producers found her breasts visually inadequate, and so designed her costumes to emphasize her buttocks instead. Second is her eye injury: the material exploding from a prop gun scratched her cornea painfully. Because of this, whenever she had to fire a prop gun on Babylon 5 (1994) she would instinctively turn her face away when pulling the trigger, even though this was unnecessary because the Babylon 5 prop guns did not really fire, as all visual effects were to be added in later.
- Michael Nouri turned down the role of Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon which was made the same year as this film, set in LA and also a buddy cop film like this film. The role went to Mel Gibson. Actor Ed O'Ross appears in both films.
- Of all his films, director Jack Sholder says this is his favorite.
- During an interview on TNT in 1994, Claudia Christian mentioned The Hidden as being her prior experience with aliens. She said this qualified her to work on Babylon 5 (1994).
- Three years after Kyle MacLachlan starred in The Hidden, he originated his signature role as another youthful FBI agent, Dale Cooper, on Twin Peaks (1990), which he later reprised in the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) and the sequel series Twin Peaks (2017). But by the time Fire Walk with Me started filming, MacLachlan was becoming worried about being typecast so he declined to appear in the film.
- Director Jack Sholder was inspired by Sidney Lumet crime films when approaching the cop scenes in this film.
- A character named DeVries already appeared in Dune (1984), another Sci-Fi film also starring Kyle MacLachlan.
- Kyle MacLachlan and Chris Mulkey later starred together on Twin Peaks (1990).
- When it was released on DVD in Australia it was given the M rating. When it was released in Australia back in the 1980s and was released on CBS/FOX video, it was given the R18 rating.
- Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Kurt Russell, Christopher Lambert, Michael Keaton, Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Perlman, Stephen lang, Michael Biehn, Dennis Quaid, Jeff Bridges, Nick Nolte, Gary Busey, Tommy Lee Jones, Richard Gere, Burt Reynolds, Don Johnson, Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Bruce Willis were considered to play Tom Beck.
- The movie has several notable cars used in its car chases. FBI Agent Lloyd Gallagher (Kyle MacLachlan) drives a beige Porche 928. Jack DeVries (Chris Mulkey) drives a black Ferrari 308 GTB. Jonathan Miller (William Boyett) steals a red Ferrari Mondial convertible. Brenda Lee Van Buren (Claudia Christian) steals a light green 1980s Cadillac Sedan Deville.
- Michael Nouri who played detective Tom Beck in this film also played a role on a film Flashdance starring Jennifer Beals. Much later he became best known for his part of a Mossad director and Ziva's father Eli David on the popular crime TV series NCIS.