The Car/Fun Facts
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- There were six Cars built for filming by Barris Kustoms in North Hollywood, California: one main car of steel and five fiberglass replicas. Three replicas were destroyed in the climactic explosion scene and the other two replicas were wrecked in rollovers. The gloss-black main Car is a custom Lincoln Mark III with a locked 4.11 differential (to allow easier spinning), a 460 cubic-inch V8 engine, heavy-duty suspension, roll bar, safety harness, and amber-tinted glass. The top is lowered and the beltline raised. Twelve craftsmen built the main Car in six weeks.
- According to a 1977 interview with James Brolin, the working title of the film was "Wheels".
- The song Wade is singing before brushing his teeth is "Muleskinner Blues" by Jimmie Rodgers and George Vaughn.
- Car cost $84,000.00 to build.
- This film is listed among The 100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book THE OFFICIAL RAZZIE® MOVIE GUIDE.