From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
The Arena (1974, USA/Italy) is a Sexploitation Action-Adventure film directed by Steve Carver.
- Contents: Watch Trailer | Film Review | Poster Art | Fun Facts | IMDB
- Featured in: Screwballs
- You Might Also Like: Black Mama White Mama | The Big Bird Cage
- Released in 1974 | Color
- Running Time: 83 Min.
- Production Co: New World Pictures | Rover Film
- Distribution Co: EMI Distribution (1974) (UK) (theatrical) | International Film Distributors (1974) (Canada) (theatrical) | New World Pictures (1974) (USA) (theatrical)
- Directed by Steve Carver & Joe D'Amato (uncredited)
- Written by John William Corrington, Joyce Hooper Corrington
- Starring Margaret Markov, Pam Grier, Lucretia Love, Paul Muller.
- Produced by Roger Corman, Mark Damon
- Original Music by Francesco De Masi
- Cinematography by Joe D'Amato (as Aristide Massaccesi)
- Film Editing by Jann Carver, Joe Dante
Also Known As
- A Arena (Portugal) | Amatsonien areena (Finland) | Gymnes sklaves stin arena (Greece) | Gymnostithes stin arena (Greece) | Livia, una vergine per l'impero (Italy) | Naked Warriors (USA) (reissue title) | La Révolte des gladiatrices (Belgium) (French title) | La Rivolta delle gladiatrici (Italy)
- Black slave, white slave. | See wild women fight to the death!
- The Arena is a 1974 gladiator exploitation film, starring Margaret Markov and Pam Grier, and directed by Steve Carver and an uncredited Joe D'Amato. Grier and Markov portray female gladiators in ancient Rome, who have been enslaved and must fight for their freedom. This marks the second teaming of Grier and Markov; in 1972 they starred together in the women in prison film Black Mama White Mama.