The Amazing Colossal Man/Fun Facts
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- American International Pictures released this in a double feature with The Cat Girl (1957).
- The film and its sequel have been referenced in several comedy productions, including the television series Mystery Science Theater 3000 and an episode of Robot Chicken when a large bald giant, wearing a sarong as a diaper, is struck in the crotch with a wrecking ball as he terrorizes a city, as part of the "Ode To The Nut Shot" sketch.
- This movie, like The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961), Frankenstein, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde inspired Stan Lee and Jack Kirby to create the Incredible Hulk character.
- A homage to the film can also be found in the Warren Ellis comic-book Planetary.
- The line: "Why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak?" is sampled in American industrial rock Rob Zombie's song "Demon Speeding", on the 2001 album The Sinister Urge.
- Hardcore band Madball have a song called Colossal Man, in which they refer to him as a skinhead.
- "Monsters vs. Aliens the 2009 computer-animated 3-D feature film from DreamWorks Animation and Paramount Pictures alludes to this movie when giant Susan pulls a needle from her leg and throws it, pinning a man's foot to the ground (rather than killing him as in the original).
- On the "Teens Run Wild" episode of Reel Wild Cinema (Season 2, Episode 3, original airdate April 21, 1997), guests Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa (Frank's sons) asked hostess Sandra Bernhard what her "best worst movie" was, and her answer was The Amazing Colossal Man.