Shogun Assassin: 5 Film Collectors Set
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- Region 1
- Format: Box set, Collector's Edition, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Soundtrack, Widescreen, NTSC
- Language: Japanese
- Number of discs: 5
- Studio: Animeigo
- Run Time: 427 minutes
- BUY THE DVD SET | BLU RAY SET
- Shogun Assassin
- Shogun Assassin 2 - Lightning Swords of Death
- Shogun Assassin 3: Slashing Blades of Carnage
- Shogun Assassin 4: Five Fistfuls of Gold
- Shogun Assassin 5: Cold Road to Hell
Box Set Review
- PICTURE: All Films are presented in (2:35:1) Anamorphic Widescreen. All contain very nice, sharply contrasted transfers. Colors are bright and vivid. Scenes containing shadows and dark shades are solid. Blood pops off the screen.
- SPECIAL FEATURES: 28 page liner notes booklet featuring Detailed Movie Trivia, Japanese word definitions, Essay by Scholar Patrick Macias & Making Of Interviews with Robert Houston (Director/screenwriter), David Weisman (producer/screenwriter), Jim Evans (Poster Illustrator & Logo Designer), Gibran Evans (Voice of Daigoro), DISC ONE: Audio Commentary with Film Scholar Ric Meyers & Martial Arts Expert Steve Watson: A really excellent running commentary from Meyers and Watson who have a good time discussing the history of Shogun Assassin as well as the original Lone Wolf and Cub series. They even delve into the meanings behind the samurai lifestyle and history of the feudal era in Japan. Video Interview with Shogun Assassin Parts 3-5 English Dub Director Scott Houle: A very informative and fun interview with Scott Houle who provides many details of the inner workings of what its like dubbing the voices and FX for the new Shogun Assassin films. Houle explains that his job is not meant to create cool sounds and voices but to provide audiences with the same kind of emotional response/impact that they'd get from the original language films. He also says that while he likes subtitles for foreign films he very much likes a well made dub instead due in large part because many times when films are subtitled the end results of dialogue are often innaccurate and can have many interpretations of the same words.
- AUDIO: DISC 1: DD 2.0 Mono. DISCS 2-5: DD 5.1 Surround Sound.
- THE FINAL WORD: The Shogun Assassin 5 DVD Box from Animeigo is something Japanese film enthusiasts will certainly want to purchase to add to their collection. The new format including all new dubbing tracks produced by Scott Houle for SA Parts 3-5 are excellent and will be a nice alternative for those who prefer non-subtitled films. Highly recommended!
Peter Roberts is the co-founder/editor-in-chief of the Grindhouse Cinema Database (GCDb) and contributor to the GCDb's sister site Furious Cinema. A Massachusetts native, he is an avid film fan that has been immersed in the world of entertainment and pop culture his entire life. He is currently majoring in Communications and Interactive Media Design.