Hunchback of the Morgue
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
- Released in 1973 | Color
- Running Time: 82 Min.
- Production Co: Eva Film | Janus Films (uncredited)
- Distribution Co: Cinemation Industries (1975) (USA) (theatrical) (dubbed) | Castilla Films (Spain) | Cooperativa Cinematográfica de Distribución (Spain) | D.C. Films (Spain)
- Directed by Javier Aguirre
- Written by Javier Aguirre, Alberto S. Insúa, Paul Naschy
- Starring Paul Naschy, Rosanna Yanni, Víctor Alcázar, María Elena Arpón, Manuel de Blas, Antonio Pica
- Original Music by Carmelo A. Bernaola
- Cinematography by Raúl Pérez Cubero
- Film Editing by Petra de Nieva
Also Known As
- Hunchback of the Morgue USA (DVD title) | Die Stunde der grausamen Leichen (Germany) | Il mostro dell'obitorio (Italy) | Le bossu de la morgue (France) | O kabouris tou nekrotomeiou (Greece) | Rue Morgue Massacres | The Hunchback of the Rue Morgue
Gotho (Paul Naschy), a moronic hunchback employed in a hospital morgue, is deeply in love with Ilse (María Elena Arpón), but it's an ill-fated relationship. Ilsa is terminally ill with tuberculosis and dies shortly after. Out of his mind for the loss, Gotho steals her corpse, killing the medical students who are going to dissect it, and hides her in an underground crypt. Dr. Orla (Alberto Dalbés), a mad biologist, promises Gotho that he will revive Ilsa, but Gotho will have to provide him with dead - and live - bodies for his terrible experiments.