Gone With The Pope/Grindhouse Releasing Blu Ray/DVD
From The Grindhouse Cinema Database
Lost for over 30 years, GONE WITH THE POPE stars famed nightclub performer Duke Mitchell as Paul, a paroled gangster with an unholy scheme: to kidnap the Pope and charge “a dollar from every Catholic in the world” as the ransom. Shot in 1975, GONE WITH THE POPE was unfinished at the time of Duke Mitchell’s death in 1981. Sage Stallone and Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing rediscovered GONE WITH THE POPE in 1995 and vowed to save it from obscurity. Academy Award-winning film editor Murawski (THE HURT LOCKER, ARMY OF DARKNESS) spent 15 years completing GONE WITH THE POPE from the surviving film elements. Grindhouse Releasing proudly presents the Holy Grail of exploitation cinema!
GONE WITH THE POPE has screened exclusively in cinemas since its sold-out Hollywood premiere in 2010. This home video debut follows Grindhouse Releasing’s Blu-ray/DVD release of Duke Mitchell’s MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE, now set to arrive Feb. 24 along with the company’s long-awaited Blu-ray edition of Lucio Fulci’s THE BEYOND.
Grindhouse Releasing will celebrate the upcoming Blu-ray/DVD releases of MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE and GONE WITH THE POPE with a rare 35mm screening of both films Feb. 10 at the New Beverly Cinema in Los Angeles.
Duke Mitchell’s MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE and GONE WITH THE POPE are two of the most long-awaited and requested titles in the Grindhouse Releasing home video catalog. Founded in 1996 and known as the Criterion of cult cinema, Grindhouse Releasing has released Blu-ray editions of THE SWIMMER, starring Burt Lancaster, THE BIG GUNDOWN, starring Lee Van Cleef and Tomas Milian, CORRUPTION, starring Peter Cushing, and AN AMERICAN HIPPIE IN ISRAEL, starring Asher Tzarfati and Shmuel Wolf, The company scored a #1 best-selling hit in 2014 with its deluxe Blu-ray release of Ruggero Deodato’s notorious CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.
- Spectacular 2K digital restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
- Three stunning audio options – mono, stereo and 5.1 – mixed by Emmy award-winning mixer Marti Humphrey
- In-depth interviews with stars Jim LoBianco and John Murgia, cinematographer Peter Santoro, editors Bob Leighton and Robert Florio, and legendary exploitation producer/director Matt Cimber
- Footage from the 2010 Hollywood World Premiere
- Deleted scenes and bloopers
- Liner notes by acclaimed horror novelist John Skipp
- Extensive still galleries and theatrical trailer AND OTHER SURPRISES!